Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Calling all hurricane survivors!


You remember what it was like getting up the next morning after Hurricane _______ roared through in the night, stepping gingerly out the front door the next morning to check on the big old oak tree, wondering if it took out your car. Or your fence. Or your neighbor's house.

You remember what it was like when the National Guard rolled into town and started directing traffic at all the downed stoplights.

And the Red Cross brought ice! and water! and and food that heated itself! MRE's are fun to make fun of but after a few days of subsisting on Spam and Dinty Moore beef stew straight out of the can you'd run over your own grandma to get something that might vaguely resemble a meal.

So now our inland fellow bloggers and neighbors have been hit by their equivalent of our hurricanes and are in need of help. Some places to start ---


American Red Cross
Mid-South Chapter
1400 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
901-726-1690


United Way of the Mid-South
phone in a donation at (901) 433-4300.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted at my place and the American Street. It isn't my normal day on the Street, but it will get a lot more exposure there than my place.

hipparchia said...

that's some good karma indeed. mostly i like being a hermit of the blogosphere, but having a tiny audience is a bit of a drawback at times like this.

Unknown said...

This is NOT tornado season! I do not know what’s going on; perhaps an effect of global warming? Whatever, the damned twisters have been hitting all around me and I don’t like it. My niece’s school is closed because on took off its roof; another came down within two miles of my mother’s new house. A mile from me a tree split a house in two.

hipparchia said...

that's way too close for comfort. i'm awfully glad the storms didn't get any closer than that to you and alex and your family.