Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pissant provocateur, me.

ellroon: tag, you're it.
hipparchia: [blushing, because secretly i like validation as much as the next blogger does] hmph. i don't do these things.

The originator of this one, it turns out, echoes one of my own sentiments: that government should be divided. Also, thanks to DWSUWF, I now know what I am politically: a Dividist.

The Rules of the Partisan Pissant Provocateur Award:
  1. Copy and link to this post (meaning these rules and the Award icon).
  2. Reflect on five bloggers who cause you to gnash your teeth when reading their posts, but who you nevertheless feel compelled to return to and read time and again. Write a short sincere (or not) paragraph about each one.
  3. Make sure you link this post so others can read it and the rules.
  4. Go leave your chosen bloggers a comment and let them know they’ve been given the award.
  5. Put the award icon on your site.
  6. Did I mention you should link this post?
This award should make you reflect on five bloggers who have motivated you to unleash fire breathing partisan posts of your own. Carefully crafted logical arguments and good writing are a bonus but don't overlook particularly sharp satire, biting snark, or a high octane flamer. Try to keep the quality high, but in a pinch, feel free to substitute your basic journeyman partisan hack.

Let's get the terminology straight. We are not using the Merriam Webster definition of a pissant. We are instead using the Urban Dictionary's second definition:
Pissant - Little person blog with big attitude.


The following bloggers all have larger readerships than I, which makes it awfully hubristic of me to call them pissants, but if I chose blogs whose readership is smaller than mine, they wouldn't be worth reading. I'm obsessive enough to read catfood labels and toothpaste tubes, but I won't force you to do so. I chose 6 blogs so as to be able to break one of the rules [and also because governement should be divided].


The women. Smart. Outspoken. Their blogs make me gnash my teeth, not because I disagree with anything they say, but because they tackle issues like this and this so that I don't have to. Feminists all. You have been warned.

Trailer park feminist
In her own words: Trailer park is a 26-year-old (formerly teenage) mommy, wife, and feminist, liberal voter, living in Austin, Texas. If there are more voices like hers out there, representing the new wave of feminism, then feminism is in good hands.

Kindly Póg Mo Thóin
In her own words: Zuzu is fabulous. And she is. Truly.

Reclusive Leftist
In her own words: Dr. Violet Socks is a shadowy figure who, according to some sources, may not actually exist. Her former life as a bonne vivante and circus performer has now given way to a reclusive existence focused on writing and research. What could anybody possibly add to that?


The men. Thay're smart too. I may read tiny bloggers sometimes, but never stupid bloggers.

The Daily Whim
In his own words: [1] I used to think tomatoes were made from ketchup, in molds.
[2] I believed pencil sharpeners removed the old point, and replaced it with a fresh one. I came for the Michael Vick stories and stayed for the dry wit and gorgeous photos.

Who is IOZ
In his own words: IOZ is just a buddy helping his buddies out. Almost-anarchist, writes better than you do, cooks better than you do.

Build It From Scratch
In his own words: There are dog people. And then there are cat people. Puppylander is a dog person. Scratch my belly. Check for lint. Another almost-anarchist. I've had many a lengthy e-mail and IM, um, discussion with him on his blog topics already. I really need a hot key labelled post this convo to puppy lander's blog comments.


ps. i'm not tagging anybody. if you're any of the above and want to participate, please do, but otherwise feel free to pretend you weren't here.

4 comments:

Steve Bates said...

I am reminded of one of my late father's sayings describing someone who was a tightwad. Here's my rhymed version of it:


   Pissant?

It would be sweet...
What must I pay
To see you eat
A bale of hay?

      - SB the YDD

hipparchia said...

chomp chomp

Keifus said...

It occurs to me that that word must come from "puissant," which is a cool word in its own right. "Pissant" sounds like a comically immature version of it.

I see that puppylander guy everywhere, and he seems pretty swell. His blog doesn't leave me much to go on though.

aerruv: rave revues

hipparchia said...

i see them all as jumping off points, k. pick one and take it somewhere.

puissant is just fun to say, no matter which pronunciation you use. i have to admit that i can't associate it with powerful, mighty, and potent without snickering a little in some corner of my head, though.


skvci: skandinavica